Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Transcending The Road Not Taken

This title refers to Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken", which is a popular poem from the 80s. In high school I grew up reading the likes of Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe and from the perspective of a full fledgling adult, it often feels like their poems carry a message of innocence lost in our distant past.

I guess what I am trying to say is that our lives at least S. and I take the most unusual twists and turns. Take a look at our time together (which we'll save for another time) or S.'s recent encounter with the "silent killer".

I, for one, feel that Frost's poetry deploys fairly simple rhymes and his message, which must be deeper are lost between the words. For instance, the "somewhere ages to ages hence" is one way Frost tries to transcend time. All poets try to do this. Some less effectively than others. Like my favorite poet of all time, Percy Shelley. However, I digress.

Frost is trying to transcend time with "ages to ages". Otherwise, this poem would be a simple choosing of door 1 or door 2. And...I choose door 2. Its more than this and that is why the message remains.

I once dreamed an unusual dream on my headstone, "Engineer, blah, blah, blah". The truth is that I have always wanted, "Philosopher, blah, blah, blah". Was this the road taken? Or was there a road I should've taken that is "less traveled by and that has made all the difference"? I know one thing that I married someone who did.

No comments:

Post a Comment